With an undeniable entrepreneurial DNA and as founding partner of Vancouver-based Renewal Partners and chairman of Renewal Funds, Joel Solomon knows a thing or two about about investing in a sustainable triple bottom line (people, planet and profit). The Clean Money Revolution, by pioneering investor Joel Solomon, calls for the reinvention of […]
What’s the distinction between ‘being wealth creators’ and ‘being wealthy’? One of the characteristics of enterprising families is a culture of ‘being wealth creators’ rather than just ‘being wealthy’. There is an important distinction between these two ideas. To explain the distinction, think of two families: A and B. Family […]
Entrepreneurial Families and the Triple Bottom Line Every year, Business Families Foundation brings together some of the greatest entrepreneurial family role models to share solution-driven ideas. This year, we are pleased to host our Family Matters Forum in Vancouver, BC, taking place October 19-21. We will address how to […]
How would you know? Excellence Canada and PwC Canada are pleased to present the Canadian Business Excellence Awards for Private Businesses. The Canadian Business Excellence Awards for Private Businesses celebrates companies that are already doing lots of things right today and are on the path to even greater things tomorrow. […]
Wealth creators in the 1% There is a common perception that the top 1% of households are completely at odds with the 99%. They are often assumed to be Forbes billionaires who live off inherited wealth (the ‘1% rentiers’) or are hedge fund managers and top bankers (the ‘1% working […]
A new working system is needed… Amidst new international uncertainties, 2017 brings forth a new reality for entrepreneurship within businesses world wide. This reality is no different for entrepreneurial families; the challenges faced by the rising generation and the need for new resources for existing owners, is creating the need […]
It is with great pleasure that we announce a new partnership looking to enhance education for family businesses in East Asia. Singapore Management University Business Families Institute (SMU BFI) and Business Families Foundation (BFF) will work hand in hand to develop valuable content and share specific knowledge pertaining to […]
BFF is excited to launch the Intrapreneurial Initiative in collaboration with La Caisse de dépôt et placement du québec! You can follow the project for now by checking out the facebook page, and we will be sure to share the website with you shortly!
If you haven’t already heard, the FAMILY MATTERS | FORUM 2015 was hosted by Business Families Foundation at the end of November. The event aimed to connect the greatest minds in family business to discuss what the future has in store for our cherished business model. With family business leaders […]
Compass for Entrepreneurial Families is an educational program developed by Business Families Foundation to provide business families with a better understanding of fundamental, contemporary concepts.
Need help making important decisions? We’ve spoken to hundreds of families who have lived it. We’ll ask you the tough questions to guide you in finding the right solutions for your family and your business.
Play this interactive game to keep the family glue strong and to address issues around family communication and governance.
Relatable Case Stories
Want to see how it’s done? We’ll provide you with relatable business family scenarios so you can learn how to better handle difficult situations, anticipate common reactions, and avoid unnecessary conflict.
Messages can be misinterpreted, ideas can be misunderstood, and we often say more with our bodies than we do with our words. In a family business context, there is an added level of complexity in regard to balancing family and business communication.
Family Business Interviews
Searching for advice? We’ve collected hundreds of interviews. Listen to your peers speak about overcoming challenges and learn from their triumphs and failures to set your family and business on track for success.
Watch Carolyn Greenspon, a 5th generation member of The New York Times Company founding family, describe the influence her late great-grand-mother still has on the family to this day, and how business family leaders can act as role models to inspire generations to come.
Advice From Leading Experts
Seeking solutions? Hear from our specialists on best practices and strategies for dealing with common and complex family business issues. Take advantage of the knowledge and expertise they have to offer.
Watch Professor John Davis of Harvard Business School talk about the importance of reinforcing partnering between the junior and senior generations in a family business. In a family business, it is important to familiarize the rising generation with the business early on, so that they can take on responsibilities sooner.
Passionate about family business? Browse our interesting and thought-provoking collection of family business tips, tricks and stats! In reading them, we promise you’ll learn a thing or two about family business.
Imagine if there was a potion to success… Identifiable qualities and steps that you could follow to build a 100-year family business. Well, we have just that. Follow the seven qualities here and you’ll be on your way to a sustainable multi-generation business.
The Clarkson Centre for Board Effectiveness (CCBE) at the Rotman School of Management has a mission to study corporate governance and provide practical insights for companies about what good governance means.